12/02/2010

Lowering the Bar Once Again


I take a lot of photographs. Some of them turn out pretty well and from time to time I struggle to think about what to do with them.

The printer I have does a reasonable job on photographs but when I just want to see what it might look like if it was printed professionally I have been going to see a guy who works at a photo department of a drugstore. He is a photographer, understands what I want and does a good job.

I went in to see him the other day with my usual request. I wanted the photographs printed so that I see the full image instead of being cropped arbitrarily by the machine. I put a lot of time and effort into setting the photograph up just the way I want it so I really don't think that is too much to ask.

This time the guys response was "Sorry I can't do that any more. The company came in, deleted my presets in and reprogrammed the computer. I am not allowed to over ride the machine."

So, what have we got? A processor that is completely capable of making good photo prints in the format customers want them, a technician who is bright and skilled enough meet customer requests and an employer that won't allow it.

There are other options I know. I can get them done at a higher cost somewhere else but I always saw this place as an intermediate step so I could get an idea of how the finished product might look before spending the money to get an "art print" done.

The retail sector complain that consumers just don't have any customer loyalty anymore. It is no wonder considering that they keep lowering the bar. It just doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree, I would love to hear from anyone who visits the site