01/06/2010

Another Lukiwski Shit Sandwich

All right, I want to be right up front. I don't like my Member of Parliament Tom Lukiwski.

He send me a lot of mail. Most of it either empty boastful law and order rhetoric or what can only be described as anti liberal hate mail. The result is, that I write back to him fairly often.

Unlike most of Stevie’s Storm Troopers he writes back. Hell, guys like me probably keep a MP staffer employed just answering mail. (Note to Conservative staff members - No thanks are necessary. It is just one of the services I provide as a citizen)

Perhaps you are not familiar with the term but, Tom sends me shit sandwiches. They are of a pretty basic construct. The first paragraph is usually like this one.

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me. Contributions such as yours allow me to more accurately articulate the opinions of my constituents for consideration and debate in Parliament. Please be assured that I have noted your concern regarding the long-gun registry"

That opening is then followed by half a dozen paragraphs telling me that I don't know what I am talking about,  I am wrong about the issue and that the Harper government is on the right track. It ends with a sweet;

"Again, I thank you for your feedback as it helps me to be the most effective parliamentarian and representative possible. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me in the Future."

It is pretty clear. Tom tows the party like pretty closely but, Tom doesn't listen. So, how can I get anyone in Parliament to represent my point of view. Over 50%  of us in the riding voted against Lukiwski but that old first past the post system assured him of a victory. Tom's letters make it very clear, the majority of people in my riding have no representatation. Tom just blows us off.

I don't know how you feel about it but it is hard to feel good about our so-called democracy when my MP keeps feeding me shit sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree, I would love to hear from anyone who visits the site