28/03/2009

Rex Murphy Baffles me Again


In the spirit of full disclosure, let me say at the outset that Rex Murphy isn't my favorite commentator. I run hot and cold on the subject of Rex's work. He is a bit pompous for my taste and also a little too ready to support some of those who consistently get under my skin. I guess in that regard he is doing a good job.

However, I always thought consistency was an important trait in his line of work. This weekend in the Globe & Mail, Rex puts that proposition to the test.

On the one hand Rex, in his review of Ezra Levant's new book carried in the Globe And Mail this morning, puts Murphy solidly in Levant's court. Rex defends Levant's right to publish what he wants, to no matter how offensive it might be. In fact Rex quite warms to Levant. You get the sence that he comes away reading the book, quite liking him.

Let me say that I always felt that Levant had few redeeming features . I loathed his Western Standard Magazine but would have, as Rex does, supported his right to express the opinions he has and defend his right to write about them.

On the other hand Rex seems to support Jason Kenny's decision to ban British MP George Galloway from entering our country and speaking out against some of this government's foreign policies. He spend most of his article belittling Galloway, making him out as a buffoon and diminishing the very legitimate message he is bringing to North America during his speaking tour. Galloway might well be a bit over the top but, the Canadian Government's decision to refuse him entry makes it look like our Government's foreign policy is so flawed, so shoddy that it could not stand up to Galloway's criticism.

There seems to me to be a very large contradiction in the to offerings. Freedom of expression is freedom of expression no matter if you like those expressing the point of view, or not. I am sure Rex likes to be thought of as a as a thoughtful commentator. These two pieces don't do much to support that image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree, I would love to hear from anyone who visits the site