04/05/2009

Avocet


I'm not a birdwatcher except that I do enjoy watching them at my feeder over winter and always enjoy seeing something rare or colourful.

Wascana Lake is always busy in the spring with the Canada geese returning to their old breeding grounds to harass the walkers for another season. They arrive by the hundreds along with the ducks and the other water birds.

This time of year they are also joined by some shore birds. Those long legged things, along the water's edge. I have been particularly impressed by the American Avocet, larger than the rest of the shore birds, it is colourful and has a very long curved beak not to mention its blue legs.

For a better look at it, left click on the image and it will enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree, I would love to hear from anyone who visits the site